China Menu English Names: Innocent or Intentional?

I've always thought it to be an innocent mistake, a lack of knowledge, a good effort to translate. However, like a blurred picture getting clearer and clearer, I started to consider this little nagging fact that it might be intentional.

I'm not making sense, am I? :)

Sorry, I'm talking about these hilarious yet sometimes annoying translated-to-english-chinese-menu-names that you see in local restaurants in China. On my recent trip to Shanghai (also my first!), I had my fair share of these menu book but one restaurant clearly stands out with their outrageous and sometimes stupid translation! You know how it is when you push too hard? when it was not done au-natural? when it stands to be so obvious that you are cranking it up? it does go from being cute & funny, to duh-so-stupid, to this-aint-funny-anymore annoying reaction!

So I'll let you be the judge of that yea? :) PRESENTING... the ridiculous. the hilarious. the gregarious. and sometimes not-so-delicious CHINA MENU ENGLISH NAMES!

*I won't divulge the name of the restaurant but you can see in the photos that these came from one single establishment- ayaaaa!*


The Spread will make you Hungry...

Photos like this was making me salivate already. Sounds good, looks good!


If you know me, I read ALL the menu names... so let's see what I get to read. 


I was dumbfounded. Black Pepper... what?! Can someone read this to me??? :D


Now this menu name is trying to ruin my sense of smell... :( I'm smellin' it while readin' it!


What helps smoked fish? The fire? The baking? Does the picture looked like it was SMOKED?


One of the BEST! Four Freshly Baked Husband!!! For the distraught wives out there, its just 8 bucks for 4 baked husbands! Eat to your heart's content!!!


This made me check twice if I was indeed inside a restaurant or a zoo?


Like our lives does not have enough of this... but hey! Now you can just FRY all CHAOS away!!!


Ok, so help me out here.. someone slipped and there were three white eggs? Oh must be a hen? :)


OK. I can't bring myself to even talk about this. The first word made me nauseous already...


Bad Hair Day Meal?


Ooooh... the photo looks soooo seductive... wahahahaha!


Sounds like a movie title right? Or something pluck out from an old poem.


Seven months with... child? hahaha that's the first word that entered my mind! They should put a blank there instead and make customers "fill in the blanks" hahaha!



So is it alive?


That part that got blurred spells c-o-c-k-s. Go Figure.


and I was LOST.

After Grilling, your Fried it, then you lead em to where?



Kid's Menu? VEGGIES? Kid's will cry here. hahaha!


Ok. Another ??? but hey the spelling is correct. 1 point! hahaha!


?!?!?!?!?!


Life is all about taking risk. Take one here and have a sip of Strange Fruit! :)


Ooooh! The South Korean fans will be fans of this South Korean fans dish! 


Sounds and Taste like medicines. Eeeew!

yy took his

Another jumbled up no sense word! hahaha!



There you go! If you must know, this restaurant was not good at all. So don't sweat it thinking that it might taste good cause it did not measure up! :( Oh yeah, one thing that you must know... this restaurant is a bit fine-dining-ish meaning circular tables, red, uniformed staff, and the works. But there was one overly rowdy table of drunken men who were laughing and shouting and pulling each other (don't know why) that is really disturbing us. More disturbing is a man who just out of the nowhere took his shirt off. It might be bearable if his body was... you know... but it was a total eye sore (now you know!) hahaha!


I hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing (while giggling) it!


I really hope I get to have time to blog more about Shanghai before my next trip comes up or else it gets piled up and I'll get laaazy!!! Sorry, digressing here. *_*



^^ _ ^^

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, did you see all that in your shanghai trip? i wonder how all the tourists are taking in the name of these dishes hehehe cool compilation :P hope its not everywhere in shanghai - Jo

Post a Comment

My Blog Roll

Total Pageviews